Saturday 9 March 2013

Ten Top Tips to Stop Procrastination

As anyone who knows me (yes, you Vic), I am absolutely awful at procrastinating, I will spend as much time as I can not doing work. Because of this,I am full of tips for people who have slightly better self-control that myself in order to make their working most efficient!

1)Give yourself breaks. As Jack Nicholson said "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy"

And its true, if you try to work non-stop until the work is done, you will go mad, your work will be bad quality, and you will not be having fun. Having 10 minutes off now and then is fair enough, and you might actually get more done.

2)Give yourself a daily deadline- If you give yourself a time each day you want to work till, then you will try and get it all before then, instead of thinking 'well I have plenty of time, I can just check twitter for another 20 mins, then finish 20 minutes later'

3) StayFocusd- A great little add-on for Google Chrome/ Firefox (and maybe others), where you can give yourself limits on what sites you can go on, how long you can go on them, and even do a complete nuclear  attack & ban the internet. Link here- /http://stayfocusd.en.softonic.com/

4)Work in a public place- For me at least, nothing makes me more like I should work than people tutting over my shoulder when they're looking for a computer and you're there browsing facebook. It also makes the distinction between working and playing, home is for play, uni/the library etc is for work.
This doesn't work if you're Mark Zuckerberg, and browsing facebook IS your work


5)Work offline- If you have sets of work that you can do while not connected to the rest of the world, then do it while not connected to the rest of the world. Without the distractions, you might get more done, and when you are unable to see where your friends just 'checked in', then you won't really be fussed.

(I was going to do another five, but then there was a thing, on reddit, and then there was a link to facebook, and some really interesting stuff on wikipedia about ex-Liverpool players, and a there's that new sporcle quiz, and yeah)


What ways do you advise to stop yourself procrastinating? 
Photo from here

1 comment: