Friday 1 March 2013

Rich makes: French Onion Soup

You will need:
A hell of a lot of onions (I had a kilo)
5 Beef stock cubes
A knob (snigger) of butter
Loads of containers for all the extra soup to go in because you accidentally made enough for the whole of France

1)Buy onions during a 'big shop' and decide a big bag is better economically
2)Forget you had onions
3)Notice you have a kilo of onions that are going out of date very soon
4)Google 'What can I cook with a shitload of onion'
5)Decide to make French onion soup, despite having no Sherry, because you need to use up all the onions
6)Ignore the fact the recipe serves 6
7)Chop up a kilo of onions (TOP TIP:This is the perfect time to try and copy Gordon Ramsay's method to chop onions that you saw on the internet, before deciding to go back to how you've always chopped onions when you nearly lose a finger)
(method here)
8)The emotion of the occasion of chopping a kilo of onions leads to you crying like a little girl
Not me, obviously. Its James Van Der Beek

9)Be told by Holly how the onions led a good life, and its their destiny to be made into soup, and stop crying
10)Put the knob of butter in a large pan, add the onions and cook on a medium heat until the onions start to go soft (~15 mins)
11)Cook on higher heat until the onions are fully browned and lovely (TOP TIP: Realise that the person writing the recipe who said 'you only need to stir the onions every 5 minutes or so was either a)lying, or b)liked the smell of a burnt pan bottom
12)Make stock using the stock cubes and 1.5 L of water (I didn't mention the water in the ingrediants because I assumed you'd have access to  running water, if you don't I'm sorry for wasting your onions)
13)Add stock to browned onions and bring to the boil
14) Add salt and pepper to  taste (I never know what to taste means, I presume 'throw them  in and hope for the best')
No, not Salt N Pepa
15)Leave to simmer for 10 minutes
16)Get concerned about how your soup looks nothing like any on google images
17)Eat soup
18)Have seconds
19)Try and find every container you own  to put the extra soup in, and find you have one more container than lid.


ENJOY!



2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love french onion soup, even though it never looks particularly elegant. Also, that James van der Beek picture gets me every time I see it haha xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I liked it so much, its making having it every day this week a lot more enjoyable!

      Delete