Sunday 3 March 2013

To York! An anniversary adventure

For Holly and my 4 year anniversary, we decided to go to York for an adventure. Because sometimes adventures are just needed. I'm a geographer (kinda) goddamn it!

This involved getting up early, which was hard seeing as we were up late in a long drawn out game of trivial pursuit, before being crowned king and queen of all things knowledge related. 

 Even when still in Sheffield the weather seemed to be suggesting that it was going to be good today, which is always a bonus when you're planning an exploration  
 Although it doesn't actually look like it in this photo, the soil border on the right was around 7 foot down from where we were walking (the city walls). This is messing with my head.

 I rather like old castley-churchy things. Thats why I love this country, so much history.
 These ruins were rather big, around 5 Hollys tall (not yet an official measuring unit)
 And there were lots of places to explore
 The minster was rather grand, and I bet it was even more impressive inside, but £9 entry is a little too steep for this explorer. 
 It seems this guy is asking God why he paid so much for a model of the minster
 I love when statues have expressions (but not in the way those creepy Dr Who ones do)


 One thing that I really love about exploring is finding things that most tourists won't find. This church was just off a busy street, but the fact that there was no obvious indicator it was there meant it was as peaceful as it should be
 I don't know how I lived without a Vodka Revs card, the pizzas are to die for & so reasonably priced!
 Seriously, this city was oozing history.

 The Shambles- this upset me because it has the potential to be really quaint but instead every shop was selling tat to capitalise on its quaintness. Most were called 'Ye Olde Blahblah' 

 I loved how different the minster looked at night, all sinister. My girlfriend said she liked the way only one side was lit up, as if to symbolise good and evil, the light and the dark, but I think there was just a burst bulb.
I want to live in a castle when I win Euromillions.


Have you been on an exploration anywhere recently? What did you find?

2 comments:

  1. I love York. And The Shambles, I think there are a few really good indie shops down there, including a brilliant yarn shop. You photographed it brilliantly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I wanted to be more shutter-happy, but I forgot to charge my camera before going :(

      Delete